Online coding platform CuriousJr explores revenue model while expanding offerings

Ed-tech startup and online coding platform for kids, CuriousJr eyes wider play as it ramps up offerings in its online program; while exploring the possibility of introducing a revenue model.

With 160,000 active monthly users – students aged 8 to 17 – the company currently operates on a free model. Nearly 60% of users are from Tier II and Tier III cities; while the remaining 40% comes from metropolitan and Tier I cities.

Curriculum or course content is being intensified, targeting students between grades 6 and 12; while age-specific content is also explored. Plans are underway to include vernacular languages ​​in the courses. Apart from Hindi and English – which are currently available on the platform – other languages ​​explored are Marathi, Telegu, Bengali and Gujarati.

Curiosity Edtech Private Limited, based in Gurugram, which owns and manages the CuriousJr platform, was founded in September 2020.

Power up

According to Mridul Ranjan Sahu, co-founder of CuriousJr, the platform presented itself as a first mobile offer, since nearly 88% of students still do not have access to a laptop. On the other hand, nearly 45% of students have smartphone access. This figure should reach 60% within a year; and 70% in two years.

“The majority of ed-tech schools and other tech companies are pushing primarily for coding courses that are laptop or desktop. But not all students have access to laptops. So we design our program in such a way that coding is possible on small screens. This will allow students to study and code on a mobile device,” he told BusinessLine.

In addition to working on ramping up content, which includes creating age-specific offerings, the company would also explore the possibility of revenue streams which could include coaching/one-to-one lessons, purchase of specific courses , etc

“We still have to figure out the revenue model. Maybe around the second half of the year, say end of 2022, we might see some development on those lines,” Sahu said.

Coding in India

Coding for kids is estimated to already be a $14 billion market in India, sources say. Two 2020 events are said to have propelled this segment – ​​the rollout of NEP 2020, and BYJU’S – India’s largest ed-tech start-up – buying coding platform WhiteHat Jr for $300 million.

Other K-12 coding startups in India include Tekie, CodeYoung, Coding Ninjas, among others. General educational technology companies like Toppr, Vedantu, Unacademy also offer coding courses.

Funding

CuriousJr had, in a previous seed funding round last year, raised $1 million, led by Waterbridge Venture and Enzia Venture and a few other angel investors.

“At this time, there are no immediate fundraising plans. We will explore those options once we have the new program in place,” Sahu added.

Comments are closed.